CTF Tutorial: BC (Basecleaner)

Tutorials and discussions on CTF
Ferox

CTF Tutorial: BC (Basecleaner)

Post by Ferox »

hi, this tutorial is about the position bc (basecleaner) on CTF for captain games, which are mostly 6on6. you can also use this tutorial for 5on5 and public, just notice that there is no supporter in 5on5.
Attachments
bc-tutorial.zip
(1004.65 KiB) Downloaded 1550 times
Boothand
Administrator

Re: CTF Tutorial: BC (Basecleaner)

Post by Boothand »

Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Great tut. Some additional questions:

When should you blow the mines you put on pad? Save them until our team returns, then blow when the enemy poster is near, or blow them to kill the poster whenever he's close enough to die from the impact?
Also, what kind of team chat binds does your team expect you to have and use?
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

Boothand wrote:Great tut. Some additional questions:

When should you blow the mines you put on pad? Save them until our team returns, then blow when the enemy poster is near, or blow them to kill the poster whenever he's close enough to die from the impact?
Also, what kind of team chat binds does your team expect you to have and use?
first, thank you for the YouTube again.

the answer is like always, it depends on the situation. ideally, as BC you barely blow your own mines. your runner should decide when to do that, e.g when he is one hit or your second runner that camps has just died and he wants one of the enemy rets blown up by your mines to get some distance until your team posts again. i dont think people care much about it, but mineblow-timing is important and you should try to leave the mines as long as possible. always have mines around pad, theres no need to blow them so you save them for a possible return later. then again if you see in team-chat that your team has 1-hit the enemy runner you could blow them to kill the poster of enemy team or just have one hit on enemy poster, so he is under pressure. if you blow mines and kill/hit enemy poster before the return, it puts pressure on the enemy team and the support or a returner of enemy team has to go on pad to post, creating space for your runner, it is always good to reduce the number of enemy people in your base. but if you wait with blowing mines and just leaving them on your pad this is even better in most cases. personally as runner, i prefer having mines on pad so i can circle around pad. just the mere fact that the mines are on pad is enough to create space for the runner and to cause threat to the enemy team. they have to do something about the mines, so one of them is forced to blow them.

since you always want 2 mines on pad and 1 mine in front of pad (so they dont all chain explode) you could also just blow the mine infront of pad and damage the enemies, while leaving the 2 other mines on pad still unblown. so the general answer is, save them as long as possible, but there are situations where it is wise to blow them and try to hit/kill enemies. be aware, no need to actually kill someone, just damaging them is fine as well. Colossus would even go so far as to intentionally 1 hit every single enemy in his base without killing them and on the right moment execute them all (since 1 yellow was enough to kill a 1 hit enemy in most cases). so like, he would one hit all enemy returners (and if possible the poster), and if he saw 1-hit on enemy capper on team chat, he would easylie kill enemy returners, creating a 2on2 situation in his own base, if the return comes now the chance of scoring was pretty good. i know this contradicts my argument "always kill as many as possible", but ur not supposed to permanently do that. e.g u could leave them 1-hit if their weaker runner would have flag and a quicker return would be likely.

so remember, we only talk about chances here. nothing is guaranteed, theres no guarantee Colossus would really kill the returners he had one hit previously, it is all about creating circumstances that increase the chance of scoring, everything is about increasing the percentage of how likely it is you score. thats why you must also look at the enemy team and their players. if the weaker runner has flag (or even the support who somehow escaped but is actually a bad capper to your knowledge) it is recommended you and the runner stick very close to pad even without your team saying "1 hit". if i cap, whenever i go to close to pad there is information in the game telling me to do so, it is never random. so as bc, whenever you blow mines you should have a reason to do so.

just as side note, keeping an enemy 1 hit is always a good option that is probably being underused, e.g if i run i barely kill the enemy bc, i just keep him on low hp so he has to go take mines with low hp making it easier ofr my support, or i can get flag easier if i can push him off pad with a yellow. also keep in mind if the enemy support has time, he will blow mines on pad through red pillars or long jump blue base, so if u see he is about to blow them try to blow them urself and get damage on someone somehow.
Boothand
Administrator

Post by Boothand »

Thanks.

One thing I noticed last time I BCed on cpts is a counter tactic from the enemy support is to leave a sentry near your mines on pad (and when it's out of ammo it will blow up and take the mines with it). My approach was mostly to keep out of fireline (e.g below the stairs) and try to 1-hit people close to the stairs. But I wonder if the sentry would be a big nuisance to the runner, since it would force him to face it while dodging the rets, which could be very restrictive on his movement.

To put it this way, what would Colossus do?
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

tbh the same logic as above applies, if you have pressure on them (1 hit or hes even in your base) id stay out of fire line if possible to keep mines as long as possible, keep in mind a sentry that will eventually explode is also a danger to the poster (it explodes on its own after a while as well). but you can just blow mines (and thus destroying the sentry) and try to get damage on the poster or enemies somehow, so try to still get some benefit from the mines ur forced to blow because of the sentry. if you are alone in your base and u got a sentry close to your mines, i would leave it, take the next mine spawn, mine doors or another spot, then when sentry killed mines on pad id mine pad again. or you could also use one mine to blow everything including sentry and then place the other 2 on pad again.

(with sentry, if u place it smart u can destroy all mines even if u got one mine infront of pad and the other 2 mines on pad, by placing the sentry exactly on the spot between them)
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)